Last December I posted a list of things I wanted to do when I got my first long service leave. This has now come to pass, and here is what I actually did. I’ve crossed out the things that did not happen; and the things that happened are in bold.
- Be a school Dad and drop off the kids, pick them up
and be a parent helper in the mornings.Just couldn’t be a parent helper; I found I didn’t want to set foot in the school grounds for that week.
- Sit on my bottom and read books and watch DVDs. I sat on my bottom and read books in cafes and libraries. I watched some DVDs/BluRays lying down in bed at night.
Purchase some kind of spaceship LEGO and build it all by myself, and make a time lapse video of myself building it.
- Went to the library and start researching/
working onmy film script of Captain Scott’s last expedition. This was perhaps the greatest fun of the whole week. I didn’t start writing a script, but I mapped out some structural ideas, took notes and read heaps on the subject, thus getting further in. And it was grand. And I loved it. Sleep.No more sleep than usual.
- Plan and cook meals for the family. I planned three and cooked two, and it was yum.
Go to the gym a lot.I joined the local gym and started going. Take the dogs for walks.Sorry, pooches. But I gave you bones, scraps and cuddles. Sleep.
- Saw The Dark Knight Rises in Gold Class, which you can read about here.
- Went to my brother’s Scout group with my telescope and ran an astronomy night.
And there you go. It was fun, fabulous, self-indulgent and just as much fun as I imagined it to be.